Friday, September 25, 2015

25 Things I've Learned Since August 25


Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain

I have officially been a college student for a month - I can tell you about math tests, expensive vending machines, campus sidewalks (why don't they make them a grid?), speech evaluations, Starbucks, student radio, and the classic studying in the library. I've found the best ways to get back and forth and my favorite place to spread out, read, and work (a gorgeous nook off of the upstairs library, with almost 2-story glass block walls). I pulled my first (almost) all-nighter a few weeks ago and was not impressed. I have a speech coming up in the middle of October, an education paper to write, and a choir concert coming up. However, God is true in everything. I will post more on the struggles I've had later, but I thought it would be fun to list some things I've learned. Some are personal, some are strictly academic, but hopefully they will humor or fortify you in your own journey.



1. If you're studying in the same building as your next class, start packing up your books about 10 minutes before said class starts. It takes more time then you think.

2. A polygon with 10,000 sides is called a myriagon.

3. "Luí na gréine"is Irish for "sunset".


4. I can now sing most of Brahms' Liebeslieder Waltzes.

5. Give yourself breaks. Read, play a game, rest for a little bit.

6. Yogi Berra said "He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious." (Bahaha.)

7. God feels the pain I feel - and thankfully, I have family and friends who are willing to share it  as well.

8. Interpersonal communication is fascinating. When you have a conversation with two people and then later figure out the unspoken relationship between those two people, it makes you be careful what you say to who!



9. Pray that those you know who are not believers (or those whom you're not sure about) will know "the Christ, the son of the living God." You never know when they will pass away.

10. When I speak in public, I move around way too much.

11. If you get one of those notices from a dealership about your car, take it seriously.

12. There's nothing like a Reese's Cup. (Okay, I knew that before August 25, but you get the point.)


source: http://bigzakweb.com/reeses/images/original1.jpg
13. I can lead the singing in church and survive.

14. Pinterest is addicting.

15. God transcends culture - if a value, belief, activity, etc. in a particular culture is unbiblical, it is wrong.

16. Don't buy your coffee at the college - scary prices.

17. I don't have to be perfect.

18. Before the MLA (or APA, I can't remember) updated their rules to include citing websites, people literally read off the website address in a speech.

19. I pay for it when I overcommit myself.

20. Listen to uplifting music as often as you can - K-LOVE, Christian CDs, etc. I have a CD by the Mattaniah Christian Male Choir in Canada that I am wearing out. (Great Is Thy Name, O Lord, track nine - Jehovah Tsidkenu)

21. Get people to pray for you!

22. When making note cards for a speech, put one idea per note card. That will make it much easier!

23. It can be very disturbing when the Internet crashes.

24. Keep up with any health program you are on!

25. God delivers me, protects me, and supports me.





God's strength behind you, His concern for you, His love within you, and His arms beneath you are more than sufficient for the job ahead of you.

William Arthur Ward

Here's to the #next25!

3 comments:

  1. I'm very proud of and happy for you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charity, this is very well said and imaginative. You encourage me. Keep on looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear, sweet, maturing daughter. I am blessed by what I read. Blessed because you are being blessed by our Faithful Heavenly Father, and blessed by what I learned from you. Kisses. I have to go straighten my doilies. :)

    ReplyDelete